You can save up to $11,000 on a new CNG commercial trucks with a great incentive program from the State of California
The VIP is a streamlined approach to reduce emissions by replacing old, high-polluting vehicles with newer, lower-emission vehicles, or by installing a retrofit device.
This program is limited to owners/operators with fleets of 10 or fewer vehicles that have been operating at least 75% in California during the previous twenty four (24) months.
The goal of this program is to reduce emissions from in-use heavy-duty trucks in small fleets by retrofitting Engine Model Years 1996 – 2006 or by replacing Engine Model Years 2002 and older with Model Years 2007 (or newer) emissions compliant models.
The VIP is implemented by SCAQMD through contractual agreements with Dealers, Dismantlers, and Retrofit Installers. The Dealers/Retrofit Installers will apply to the SCAQMD for the vouchers on behalf of the applicant.
If approved, the voucher amount will be deducted from the total purchase price of the truck or retrofit device by the Dealer or Retrofit Installer, respectively. Applicants interested in replacing their truck must purchase their replacement truck through an SCAQMD-approved VIP Participating Dealership that has completed the required training for the VIP.
Similarly, applicants interested in retrofitting their truck must purchase their retrofit device through an SCAQMD-approved VIP Participating Retrofit Installer who has completed the required training for the VIP.
Please note that due to CARB’s On-Road Truck & Bus Regulation, retrofit funding is limited exclusively to Class 6 Trucks (GVWR: 19,501 – 26,000 lbs).
- First-Come, First-Served Basis (no application deadline; open until funds are exhausted)
- Rapid Response Time: Applicant is notified within 5 business days of submitting application for funding
- Exclusively for non-drayage fleets (10 or fewer trucks)
- Maximum of $45K available per truck for replacements and $10K for retrofits.
- No contract required between applicant and SCAQMD
- Existing Vehicle Requirements
- Replacement Vehicle Requirements
- Funding Amounts
- Engine must be MY 2002 or older (Diesel-Fueled Only)
- Applicant must be willing to scrap old vehicle
- Limited to fleet sizes of 10 or fewer
- HHD eligible vehicles must have a manufacturer GVWR of 33,001 lbs or greater. MHD eligible vehicles must have a manufacturer GVWR of 19,501 through 33,000 lbs. Refer to VIP Guidelines, Appendix “P” for applicable funding matrix.
- Owned by applicant previous 24 months
- “Free and clear” vehicle title with owner/applicant listed on it
- CA Registration Options:
- Current and Past 24 Months of CA DMV Registration, or
- CA DMV Registration for previous 8 consecutive months supplemented by alternate documentation showing CA operation for past 24 months.
*Both options require proof of insurance for past 24 months. (CA IRP is acceptable)
- Engine specs must be verifiable through tag; if missing, manufacturer must verify specs
- Must have operated at least 75% of the time in California during each 12 month period for the previous 24 months.
- Must be in “Operational Condition”
- Must be purchased from SCAQMD-approved VIP Participating Dealership
- New and Used vehicles qualify for funding based on following engine emission standards:
- New/Used Replacement – (0.20 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.01 g/bhp-hr PM or cleaner) – Only Non-FEL
- New/Used Replacement – (0.50 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.01 g/bhp-hr PM or cleaner) – FEL
- Used Replacement – (1.20 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.01 g/bhp-hr PM or cleaner ) – FEL or Non-FEL
- New or Used Vehicle (HHD used vehicles must have less than 500,000 miles of operation and MHD used vehicles must have less than 250,000 miles of operation)
- Replacement vehicle must be in the same weight class as the existing vehicle (either MHD or HHD).
- Replacement vehicle must be registered in California or in the California IRP.
- Vehicle Title must be “clean” (Must not have: a salvage title, been in an accident, or repaired for resale)
- Minimum of one year/100,000 mile major component engine warranty covering parts and labor
- No modifications of emission control systems